February 06, 2007

I'm not lovin' it so much

One of the benefits of living in a city of a million people so far from home is that when your taste buds are craving home, there is always the sweet smelling aroma of McDonalds nearby. For anyone that has lived outside the country for long enough, you quickly realize how great McDonald's hamburgers really taste. If you haven't realized that yet, well then you have been out of the country for long enough!! For the most part, the McDonalds menu in Thailand is similar to the menu in North America, unlike KFC which has a lot of menu items marketed towards the Asian consumer and A&W in Bangkok which markets waffles and ice cream. McDonalds has Big Macs, McChicken Burgers, McNuggets, McFlurries and French Fries too. However, McDonald's in Thailand is trying to market a healthier hamburger called the McRice Burger. It comes in 2 different chicken flavors and a pork one. Like most missionaries, I like to try new and exotic foods, whether it is eating dog, bugs, horse, snake or the most exotic of them all, the McRice burger. I wasn't sure what to expect. From the picture on the menu, the McRice burger looks like the rice patty buns are crisp, like a rice cake, but when I bit into it was normal white rice that had been pressed together and then colored with soy sauce on the outside. I almost burnt my fingers on the rice buns (go figure, I was touching hot rice) and the rice was soft like everyday rice. The burger had absolutely no taste, I guess that is why it is healthy! I have a feeling that this menu item won't last too long. As long as it does, I would rather eat fried bugs or even dog for that matter!! Come visit us and I will let you choose between the McRice burger and some deep fried silk worms. Hopefully you choose what I am thinking

No comments: