September 09, 2008

Keeping a Journal (any advice?)

I've tried before and I am going to try again. Every time I try to keep a journal, it goes good for a week or two and after that I lose my desire. I don't want my journal to just be a diary of what I did but more about what God is teaching me and speaking to me about.

I'm sure some of you that frequent my blog keep a spiritual journal. If so, how do you do it? What do you do to keep yourself interested in it? I really think that journaling will help me process my thoughts and will be very beneficial to me. If you have any ideas or suggestions of what to do or what not to do, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When starting a journal you need an aim. A reason why you are keeping one. If you have no clear purpose then you are sure to quit. Is it for reflection, for God only or for posterity? All the gentlemen used to keep one and now it seems blogs have taken over. A blog is a public journal that many seem to make use of. Personal insights are better for personal spiritual growth with God. Maybe that will give you an opinion at least. It is worth doing at the end of each day, in my estimation, in reflection of the day. We cannot change what we cannot remember. We cannot remember if we do not reflect. We cannot reflect if we do not write, and we cannot write without thinking.

JWo said...

Hey Brent,

I had the same difficulty in maintaining any consistency in writing in my journal. However, I found that my journal writing was directly related to if I spent time with the Lord - if I didn't block a time to do it, it wouldn't happen.

On campus, we have a new daily 8 AM check in that we do which includes a time with the Lord. This has given me an opportunity to block 45 - 60 min. at the beginning of my day reading His word and now it has included writing in my journal which I enjoy. This has been going on for 2 weeks and has been go so far! I'll let you know how it goes in a month or so. ;)