April 13, 2007

Country Wide Waterfight!!!

For three days every April, in the midst of the hottest part of the year, Thailand stops to celebrate Songkran otherwise known as Thai New Year. This festival is the closest thing to Christmas. It's the time when most people return home to spend time with their families. Young people give gifts to elderly people and elderly people return the gift with a blessing. In the midst of it all, the country turns into a nation-wide water fight. If you're outside, you are a target for anyone walking or driving by, especially if you have white skin!! Thais love to bless foreigners with a big bucketful of water in order to show foreigners some Thai culture. People are even known to open the doors to your vehicle and throw water inside, so you need to remember to lock your doors too.
Chiang Mai is the best place to be and there are literally thousands of people out throwning water. The first couple times it was a lot of fun but I guess I am getting old and it isn't quite as fun anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello, I just realized when I saw this that it is now 3 years since I was in Thailand, where I also saw you guys. Hope everything is fine, I almost miss the thai new-year celebration, he he. I´m following your work! Elin

Anonymous said...

if your getting old my cuz what does that make me???

JWo said...

lol - that looks like fun! I would love to be doused by water on a hot day. Do you get to throw water back? Are water guns allowed? ;)

Bro. Matt said...

Sweet! I wish we had that here in the U.S. Y'all get to have all the fun in Thailand!