April 27, 2008

Changing Preaching Style.

The last two Sundays I have changed the way I preach in church. For the past year and a half, I have typed out my sermon in English, translated as much as i could. Then Tawm editted it or helped me to finish translating the sermon. Then Saturdays were spent memorizing the sermon. With all the translating and memorizing, it really cut down on time I had in really preparing the sermon. On top of that, I could only memorize so much and as a result, my sermons were pretty short. On Sundays when I preached, I was pretty rigid and I couldn't really go off on tangents because I didn't want to lose my place in the sermon.

However, I came to the point now where I figure my Thai is good enough to begin preaching. My Thai still needs lots of improvement, but I could be here 20 years and say the same. As a result, I decided to try to preach for real. I now go into the pulpit with my introduction typed out in Thai, just so I get off on the right foot and after that, my skeleton outline is in English and i preach from that. The past 2 Sundays have gone well, there is still lots of room for improvement. My sermons have now doubled in time (don't know if that is good or bad). The biggest plus is that I am now excited about preaching again and I feel my sermons have more life and passion too. A couple people have told me that they like it when I preach this new way better which has been an encouragement to me.

4 comments:

JWo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JWo said...

I enjoy and resonate with this post because I struggled and still struggle to find my own identity in communicating God's word. I still have yet to take CCC's courses on preaching (next year?), but experience does help!

I still type out my sermons out in long form, but find myself referring to it less. But it can be embarrassing when I lose my place and try to find where I left off in my notes again. ;)

(sorry for the prior comment deleted - no edit button on these comments)

Beth said...

Hey! That's cool that this new method is working out so well! PTL!

Pastor Gary Woodring said...

Brent, I am praying for you as you step out in this area of change. I'm adding this blurb in the church bulletin as well so that LBC can be praying too.

Pastor