November 24, 2006

City Folk versus Country Folk

Since I grew up in a small city, I have always classified myself as a city kid. If I had to live on a farm, I don't know how I would survive because I have trouble changing a light bulb sometimes. However, the disparity between city folk and country folk isn't just a phenomenon that happens in North America. Case in point, the last time we went out to the hilltribe village. Tawm and I bought some rice because the rice from the mountain tastes better than the stuff you buy in the store. However, it needs to be sifted before you can eat. The hilltribe girls were masters of sifting. As they swirled the rice around on the plate, the bad rice would rise to the top and they could sort it easily. It looked so easy, Tawm wanted to give it a go. During her first attempt, the rice was like it was glued to the plate, it barely moved at all. Hence, the hilltribe ladies gave another demonstration. During her second go, the rice moved, but some of it moved all the way to the ground. Tawm blames it on her sore thumb, I think it is because she lives in the city. I didn't even try, because I know that if I tried, the chickens would be eating more of the rice than we would.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts Brent. I learn so much and enjoy the personal touch of seeing part of your daily lives. My family stood around the computer tonight and thanked God for our bathroom. I don't think we've ever thanked God for that before! At any rate, thanks for sharing and please know you are in our prayers in Denison, Texas.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Love the rice story. Not so sure about the bucket info though! Hahaha...

I hope y'all are doing well, and tell Mrs. Tawm hi for me. We'll be praying for you.