November 28, 2006

Meditating Frogs??

Well, yesterday, I had another bathroom adventure, but this time it wasn't in the hill tribe village, it was in our bathroom at home.

After I woke up, I went into our bathroom and I saw something that looked like a nest growing in the bathroom corner, above the bathroom door. I thought maybe it was a spider's nest or a termite nest because we've had problems with termites before. I got closer, but not too close, to get a better look, and I was positive it was a nest. I told Tawm to come and look at it, but it was our day off, so she wasn't in a hurry to look. I returned to the bathroom later in the morning and the nest was still there. I asked Tawm, "Have you looked at this nest?" And she said no. She went into the bathroom and said, that's not a nest, it’s a brown frog. In Thai it is called a meditating frog because it can sit in the same place for hours without moving. I didn't believe her, it looked so much like a nest but later on when I went to get rid of it, there it was sitting on the toilet seat. I armed myself with a bucket, a lid and a shower hose. After about 5 minutes of spraying, chasing, giving the occasional yell (I can’t scream) and more spraying and chasing, I got the frog into the bucket, put the lid on the bucket and quickly disposed of it outside making sure not to touch it (didn't want to get any warts). After everything was finished, I felt like a warrior, but Tawm didn’t think I had done anything special.

Although, I have never had a frog in the bathroom, it isn't the strangest thing I have had in a room here in Thailand. No, I am not talking about Tawm (or me if that is what you were thinking)! Shortly after we were married, I woke up and heard something making noise in our bedroom. I was scared that it was a rat and so I turned the light on to investigate and to my surprise and delight, it wasn't a rat, it was a crab and we weren't anywhere near any water! That night I simply opened the door and it walked out of the room and in the morning, we never saw it again.
Although catching amimals makes me feel kinda manly, I hope I don’t have to chase or catch any other strange animals in our house anytime soon. I don't know if my heart can take it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now the frog story is funny!