December 01, 2006

Mass Mail Out (Thai Style)

Well, a number of weeks ago, we decided that we wanted to do a mass mail out in the housing communities around our church. I hadn't heard of anyone doing that here in Thailand, but figured we would give it a try. Tim, the church secretary, went to the government office and asked for the information we wanted. They said that it would be no problem. They told us the price and we were excited about trying to do a mass mail out. However, after I talked with Tawm, I discovered that they wouldn't be putting it on disc for us, rather the money we gave them was the price of paper. They were going to print out the information. I couldn't believe it because there is several thousand people that live in these housing communities. The day that we were able to pick up the paper, I was even more surprised as the print out was an old school printer with continuous paper with all the little holes in it!! We have 2 huge boxes full of names and addresses. As I write, my excitement has died a little knowing that our mailout probably will not happen until late next year as Tim has to enter each name in the computer so we can address letters to people. Fun!
Doing ministry in Thailand is totally different that ministry in North America. Anyone want to come help type??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol - that is different from what we are use to in N. America! I remember those printers in the hey-day of my youth with the holes. I would love to help type if I could! I find data entry therapeutic!