November 16, 2007

I can't do ANYTHING!!

Have you ever come to points in your Christian life where it doesn't matter what you read or who you talk to, it always seems that God is hammering the same message into your head? That's what's been happening to me the past few weeks. The message that God is hitting me over the head with is, you can't do anything apart from me.

I just finished reading the book, The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee. This book is what got God working in my heart about this issue. This was my 3rd attempt to read this book. The first 2 times I just couldn't get into the book but now I know why. I needed to be at the right place in my Christian walk in order to understand. I thank God for this book. I thank God for verses like Leviticus 20:7-8 which confirmed this same message.

I'm a normal person and have struggles and my solution to fix them is this... Do better, try harder and the end result is always failure. Mr. Nee says that the key to becoming more like Christ is to draw closer to Christ. The closer we are to Christ, the less we will want to sin and the greater the hatred we will have towards sin. I've known this concept for sometime but it just beginning to become a heart reality rather than knowledge in my head. I cannot be holy on my own efforts, only God can make me holy. Only God can produce the fruit of the Spirit in me. I cannot do anything.

There is one quote in the book that sums this all up and it hit me hard...
"'What do you mean when you say you can do nothing apart from Him?' He answered, 'The Lord has shown me that I can do anything but that He has said, 'Apart from Me ye can do nothing' So it comes to this, that everything I have done and can still do apart from Him is nothing!'"

I don't need to try to do great things for God, God will do great things through me as I grow closer to Him. Praise God!!

No comments: