March 23, 2007

Preaching: How to Preach Biblically

When we were at seminary in Texas, my homiletics teacher, Lawerence Thompson, recommended that I try to read some books on preaching. Up until last week, I hadn't done that, but last week I started reading John MacArthur's book, Preaching: How to Preach Biblically. I have only read a few chapters so far. The first couple chapters were a little dry but the chapter, The Man of God and Expository Preaching was awesome and it really challenged me. If you are preacher in a rut preaching wise, I'd recommend this book.

Here are a few quotes from that chapter.
"It is no great talents God blesses so much as great likeness to Jesus."

"A minister may fill his pews, his communion roll, the mouths of the public, but what that minister does on his knees in secret before God Almighty, that he is and no more."

"[A man of God] has to proclaim God's message, not what he thinks will sell."

"The man of God is desperate, because of the tremendous weight of responsibility his ministry entails, yet he is relaxed because of his confidence in the sovereignty of God."

No comments: