January 16, 2007

The End of the World!!!

Before Christmas, we made a trip out to a new hilltribe village to help a former Bible School student. This village, like the one the Bible School is in, is Karen. If you were to read some mission statistics, it would say that many of the Karen are Christian. Before we went to this village I asked Lemuu, the former student what his village believed. He told me, everyone says they were Christian. I had the opportunity to talk to one young man, about 25 years old and ask him if he was a Christian. He responded yes and I prodded a little more by asking, how do you know? He said, in the year 1999, a man (don't know if he was Thai or a foreigner) came to the village telling people that the end of the world was at hand. If you wanted to go to heaven, you needed to baptized. He said lots of people were afraid of the end of the world and so they all received baptism and as a result, I am a Christian. As he told me that, I thought to myself, what other lies have people fed these village people. We thank God that Lemuu is working in that village helping people to understand what true salvation is.

No comments: