January 23, 2007

Takraw Anyone???

If you asked anyone what Canada's national sport was, people would be quick to say hockey. If you asked anyone what America's national sport was, most would probably say baseball (at least that is what I would answer). If you asked most people what Thailand's national sport was, most people would say Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing) although the only sport most people care about it football. No not the CFL or the NFL, Thais don't even know what that is, but English Premeir League. Since coming to Thailand, not being able to follow other sports has been one of the hardest adjustments to make. I have always been a huge sports fan, especially basketball and football but since coming to Thailand, the only sport that gets any coverage is soccer.
Last month, the Asian Games were on TV (a competition similar to the Olypmics except only Asian countries can attend). As I watched the games, I fell in love with takraw. These athletes were amazing watching them fly across the court. Thailand is the best in the world at this game and if it was up to me, it would be an Olypmic event. Takraw is a sport where soccer meets volleyball. The rules are similar to volleyball, each team is seperated by a net and each side has 3 hits to get the ball made of bamboo over the net. Takraw is played on a court the same size as badminton and the net is the same height as a badminton net. The only difference between takraw and volleyball is that in takraw, you can use any part of your body except your hands and arms. Just like volleyball, someone on the team is the designated spiker and they do backflips to spike the ball over the net. It was totally awesome.
Last time we were in the village, some of the students were playing and Rusty got a picture of them. Anyone want to bring a takraw team over here to compete against the nationals???

1 comment:

Bro. Matt said...

I know what Canada's national sport is...it's lacrosse. I bought a T-shirt with 10 questions on it. If I could 9-10 right, I could be a Canadian. Well, I got 9 right. Yep, you guessed it. I missed the one about the national sport. I thought it was hockey, but they said it was lacrosse. Oh well, I guess 9 out of 10 isn't too bad for a Texan, eh?!?